One of the popular personal computer printers is the laser printer. It was first released in 1971, and Gary Starkweather later worked at Xerox PARC to develop it. It prints the text and images on paper using laser or non-impact photocopier technology. When a document needs to be printed, a laser beam uses electric charges to sketch the document on a drum coated in selenium.
What is Laser Printer?
An electrostatic digital printing technique is laser printing. It defines a differentially-charged image by repeatedly sweeping a laser beam across a negatively-charged cylinder known as a “drum,” producing high-quality text and graphics (as well as mediocre images). The paper is then heated to permanently fuse the text, imagery, or both to the paper after the drum has transferred the picture to it using electrically charged powdered ink (toner). Laser printers use the same xerographic printing method as digital photocopiers. In contrast to laser printing, classic xerography, which is used in analog photocopiers, creates an image by reflecting light off an existing paper onto an exposed drum.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Laser Printer
Advantages of Laser printers:
- Less cost
- High quality ofoutput, able to print fine and smooth details
- Capable of printing in vivid colors, good for printing pictures
- easy to use
- reasonably fast
- Quieter than dot matrix printers
- no warm up time
Disadvantages of Laser printers:
- Print head is less durable, prone to clogging and damage
- expensive replacement ink cartridges
- Not good for high volume printing
- Printing speed is not as fast as laser printer
- Bleeding ink, causing a blurring effect on some papers due to ink being carried sideways
- Aqueous ink is sensitive to water, even a tiny drop of water can be smudged
- Can’t use highlighter markers on inkjet printouts
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. In 1988, Hewlett-Packard unveiled the HP DeskJet, widely regarded as the first inkjet printer to be sold in commercial quantities. One of the most well-known inkjet printer series in the world is the HP DeskJet line.
Ans. On the top or bottom side of the plastic holder containing the cartridge, a sticker indicates what type of ink cartridge your printer is using. The stickers also have red, yellow and blue circles representing the colors magenta, yellow and cyan. If you see stickers like these, you have an inkjet printer.
Ans. The most popular option for home printing requirements is an inkjet printer. Unlike laser printers, which require toner and are primarily intended for high-volume printing in offices, these printers operate by launching droplets of ink onto paper.
Ans. Hewlett-Packard created the first inkjet printer in 1976.
- Low cost.
- Easy to use.
- Reasonably fast.
- High quality of output, and is capable of printing fine and smooth details.
- No warm up time.
- Quieter than dot matrix printer.
- They do not have a large buffer, so printing is done at a bit at a time.