A plotter is a device that creates drawings using vector graphics. Plotters use a pen and paper to draw lines, or in certain cases a knife and material like vinyl or leather. They are sometimes referred to as a cutting plotter in the latter situation.
What is Plotter?
A plotter is a piece of hardware, or a printer, that was created for the first time by Remington-Rand in 1953. It was designed to print vector images and draws continuous lines without the use of ink or toner by using a pencil, pen, marker, or other writing implements. It is frequently used to print schematics and other kinds of related documents on paper.
Types of Plotter
The list below covers the different types of plotters:
1. Drum Plotter
It is also known as roller plotter. The paperback is swung back and forth on the drum as the pen is rotated left and right. By combining these two directions, a line can be drawn in any direction.
2. Flatbed Plotter
In a flatbed plotter a paper is laid out over a large horizontal area. The lines are drawn by a moving bar that moves across the surface.
3. Electrostatic Plotter
It uses a positively charged ink or toner to create images on negatively charged paper.
4. Inkjet Plotter
It is a special type of pinch roller plotter that creates an image by dousing the paper with tiny droplets of ink.
5. Cutting Plotter
It is a state-of-the-art machine that enables users to make various shapes. Its major uses are advertising, sign-making, billboards and vehicle graphics.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Plotter
Advantages of plotter:
- A plotter can produce higher-quality work on a huge sheet that is at least 2 feet long.
- Any flat sheet material, including paper, can be printed on, including plywood, steel, plastic, aluminium, and sheet.
- All templates and patterns can be saved on the disc using it. Thus, it can get around the issue of loading the same pattern repeatedly.
- Additionally, it is capable of drawing the same pattern a thousand times without degrading.
Disadvantages of plotter:
- Plotters are much larger in size than conventional printers.
- Plotters cost more than traditional printers.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. A plotter is a piece of computer gear, similar to a printer, used to print vector graphics. Plotters create multiple, continuous lines on paper as opposed to multiple dots, as is the case with traditional printers, using pens, pencils, markers, or other writing tools as opposed to toners.
Ans. A plotter is a computer output device.
Ans. The first plotter was invented in 1953 by Remington-Rand.